Should ophthalmologists-educators develop competencies in emotional intelligence? How?
(webinar in Portuguese; slides in English)
Overview and Aim
"Emotional Intelligence in Remote Teaching and Learning” focuses on using Emotional Intelligence to improve the quality of Remote Teaching and Learning. Self-awareness, self-regulation, other regulation and empathy will be concepts to explore within the boundaries of Emotional Intelligence with an effort to understand how these concepts apply and can be useful in remote teaching and learning. The centrality of this concept when it comes to teaching and learning in higher education and the challenges it poses both to teachers and students will be considered and translated into a set of guidelines regarding the engagement of students during remote class activities.
A successful learner will:
- Understand the definition of the Emotional Intelligence concept, as well as its four dominant aspects: self-awareness, self-regulation, other regulation and empathy;
- Be able to apply the Emotional Intelligence concept during classes both in the preparation, running and assessment phases, in order to increase student’s engagement in proposed activities;
- Develop pedagogical approaches which promote an open minded and appreciative attitude towards the emotional life both of the self (teachers) and of the students, in order to increase motivation and wellbeing for both during teaching & learning activities.
PAAO Coordinator: Dr. Helena Filipe (Portugal)
Dr. Isabel Carolina Gonçalves
- 1989 graduated Faculdade de Psicologia, Universidade de Lisboa (Psychology Faculty, University of Lisbon), field of Psychotherapy and Counseling
- 2001 completed training as a Psychotherapist at the Portuguese Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapy (Associação Portuguesa de Psicoterapia Comportamental e Cognitiva - APTCC), with a thesis entitled "Psychological Counseling Services at the University context - the role of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy"
- Specialist Psychologist in Clinical and Health Psychology, and in Educational Psychology
- Holds the advanced specialties of Psychotherapy and Psychological Coaching, certified by the Portuguese Psychologists Association (Ordem dos Psicólogos Portugueses - OPP)
- Founding member of the Professional Association Network of “Psychological Counseling Services in Higher Education” (Rede de Serviços de Aconselhamento Psicológico no Ensino Superior)
- Implemented and coordinated the Psychological Support Service (Serviço de Apoio Psicológico) at the Instituto Superior Técnico, 1993 - 2006
- Committee Chairwoman of the OPP's Internships 2011 - 2014
- 2006 founded and continues to coordinate the Academic Development Office (Núcleo de Desenvolvimento Académico) at Instituto Superior Técnico (previously called Gabinete de Apoio ao Tutorado - Tutoring Support Office)
- Published several works in her fields of interest, and she has participated in many national and international research projects
- Currently taking her PhD at the University of Lisbon Psychology Faculty (Faculdade de Psicologia of Universidade de Lisboa)
Webinar organized in conjunction with the Núcleo de Desenvolvimento Académico - NDA and Instituto Superior Técnico Superior Técnico de Lisboa- Universidade de Lisboa.
After the live webinar, please log in to CampusPAAAO and register for the webinar to see the recording(s). /
Após o webinar ao vivo, você deve entrar no CampusPAAAO e registrar-se para o webinar para ver as gravações. /
Después del webinar en vivo, debe ingresar a CampusPAAO y registrarse en el webinar para ver las grabaciones.